When the kids were young, we lived in Poughquag, NY. One year we had an abundance of pole beans in the garden.
We made a batch of Dilly Beans. I remember the kids sitting around the patio table eating these little creations with their neighborhood friends. They went through the entire batch in a few short days that summer. The ingredients don't seem to me to be kid friendly, but who knew??
Here is the recipe in case you want to try them:
Dilly Beans
4 lbs. green beans
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, per jar
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, per jar
1/2 teaspoon dill seed, per jar
1 whole garlic clove, per jar
5 cups vinegar
5 cups water
1/2 cups salt
1. Clean and cut beans to fit in tall Mason Jars.(one pint)
2. Place ingredients 2 through 5 into each jar.
3. Add beans to jars until full.
4. Bring to a boil ingreients 6 through 8.
5. Pour boiling liquid over beans.
6. Tighten lids.
7. Process in boiling water for 5 minutes.
I use whatever amount of beans I have on hand and adjust the liquid accordingly.
\
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
My memory of that house is pretty limited, but I do vividly remember eating mac-n-cheese in that kitchen :)
Love you!!
Post a Comment